According to various news reports, Johnson & Johnson is going to pay Samantha Reckis and her parents $63 million for the damage she suffered after taking Children’s Motrin. This is less than the $109 million that was recommended by the jury.
Reckis, now a teenager, took the drug in 2003 when she was 7 years old. She suffered a rare side effect which caused blindness and the loss of 90 percent of her skin. She suffered from toxic epidermal necrolysis, which can be potentially fatal when it inflames the throat, mouth, eyes, esophagus, intestinal tract, respiratory system, and reproductive system.
Within the $63 million settlement, Reckis’ parents are going to receive almost $7 million each and Samantha is going to receive $50 million in compensatory damages.
Written by Lulaine Compere